Skip to main content

Fateful Concepts

+Ryan Macklin helped create Fate Core, and he's been clarifying and expanding on it on his blog and across the internet. To date, he has released two PDFs on DriveThruRPG that are packed with ideas to make you a better Fate GM. I fully recommend them.

Fateful Concepts: Character Aspects looks at the evolution of the aspect and discusses how the number of aspects affects your game. It then covers separating aspects from the phases of character creation and focusing character creation by deciding on proscribed aspect slots or even defining lists of prepared aspects for players to choose from.

Fateful Concepts: Hacking Contests presents a number of options for running contests that have time limits, representing chases as contests instead of conflicts, folding contests into conflicts, and presenting contests that include multiple objects.

Both of these products are excellent, with tremendous ideas for improving your game. At 20-25 pages and just $2.99 each, you get a full course of Fate theory and practice, guaranteed to make your sessions better.

Popular posts from this blog

Voting Is Live For The 2016 Ennie Awards

The 2016 Ennie Awards are now open for voting. Go to http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2016/ to vote for the great gaming products in two dozen categories.

While you’re there, I hope you’ll consider voting for It’s Element-ary! for Best Family Game. I’m up against some very worthy competition, and I’m honored just to be nominated. But who knows what could happen, right?

Dungeon Crate, May 2016

For my birthday last month, my friends got me a subscription to DungeonCrate.  This service is the RPG-focused entry in the current "crate" craze, where you pay a subscription fee and a box of themed stuff is sent to your home monthly, quarterly, or whatever. Well, my first crate arrived today, and I thought I'd go through it here on the blog.





Let's Make a Character: Atomic Robo

I forgot to post this last Friday, but I had my third episode of Let's Make a Character. I made an Action Scientist (light on the Action) for the Atomic Robo RPG (powered by Fate Core). Check it out!