Skip to main content

RIP Terry Pratchett

Author Terry Pratchett has died at age 66. He was best known as the creator of the acclaimed Discworld series of fantasy novels.

I must admit to never having read any of the Discworld novels in its entirety. The only work of Pratchett's I finished was Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. I am aware, naturally, of the influence Pratchett's work has had on the field of fantasy literature, and I think now is a fine time to give his books the shot they deserve.

My exposure to Discworld came through the phenomenal Discworld Roleplaying Game, co-written by Pratchett and Phil Masters, and its companion GURPS Discworld Also, by Masters. Powered by GURPS, the Discworld RPG did an admirable job bringing satire and wit to what many consider a stodgy rules system overly concerned with "realism."

I am pleased that a second edition of the Discworld RPG is in the works. I am sure it will be a fitting tribute to the man and the world he created.


Popular posts from this blog

Voting Is Live For The 2016 Ennie Awards

The 2016 Ennie Awards are now open for voting. Go to http://www.ennie-awards.com/vote/2016/ to vote for the great gaming products in two dozen categories.

While you’re there, I hope you’ll consider voting for It’s Element-ary! for Best Family Game. I’m up against some very worthy competition, and I’m honored just to be nominated. But who knows what could happen, right?

Dungeon Crate, May 2016

For my birthday last month, my friends got me a subscription to DungeonCrate.  This service is the RPG-focused entry in the current "crate" craze, where you pay a subscription fee and a box of themed stuff is sent to your home monthly, quarterly, or whatever. Well, my first crate arrived today, and I thought I'd go through it here on the blog.





Let's Make a Character: Atomic Robo

I forgot to post this last Friday, but I had my third episode of Let's Make a Character. I made an Action Scientist (light on the Action) for the Atomic Robo RPG (powered by Fate Core). Check it out!