RIP Terry Pratchett

Author Terry Pratchett has died at age 66. He was best known as the creator of the acclaimed Discworld series of fantasy novels.

I must admit to never having read any of the Discworld novels in its entirety. The only work of Pratchett's I finished was Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. I am aware, naturally, of the influence Pratchett's work has had on the field of fantasy literature, and I think now is a fine time to give his books the shot they deserve.

My exposure to Discworld came through the phenomenal Discworld Roleplaying Game, co-written by Pratchett and Phil Masters, and its companion GURPS Discworld Also, by Masters. Powered by GURPS, the Discworld RPG did an admirable job bringing satire and wit to what many consider a stodgy rules system overly concerned with "realism."

I am pleased that a second edition of the Discworld RPG is in the works. I am sure it will be a fitting tribute to the man and the world he created.


Comments

Popular Posts