Games I'm Hoping To Run or Play In 2017

I'm currently involved in a few games, and I plan to talk about them a bit more next week. But for now, I thought I'd look at a few games I would like to run or play in this new year. (Specifically, this is a list of games I didn't write. Playtesting is a completely different beast.)

Dungeon Fantasy RPG

As I said yesterday, I am looking forward to getting the new Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game from Steve Jackson Games. This is a standalone fantasy RPG powered by GURPS designed to handle hack-and-slash fantasy in the style of the original D&D as well as video games like Nethack or Diablo. I love GURPS and I love dungeon crawling, so this one's a no-brainer. Of course, I know that the only way I'm getting this to the table is if I run it.

D&D 3.5

I had a chance to play in a holiday-themed one-shot using D&D 3.5 recently, run by my lovely wife. This is my favorite version of D&D, and I wouldn't mind getting to play it more. I never saw the need for Pathfinder; 3.5 works just fine for me. The fact that my wife knows it and likes running it gives me hope.

War of Ashes: Fate of Agaptus

I've said before publicly that I think this is one of the best products to come out of Fate Core to date. The fact that it has gone essentially unnoticed by the gaming community is a crime. War of Ashes mixes the slimmed down Fate Accelerated Edition with just enough extra crunch to really grab hold of me, including tactical combat options that people might not expect from a Fate game. I would like to get this to the table — but again, it's not going to happen if I don't make it happen.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm planning at least a short run of what I consider one of the greatest licensed RPGs of all time in celebration of the show's 20th anniversary. I've run two campaigns in the past, both to great effect. The cinematic rules and phenomenal GMing advice bring out the feel of the show every time.

Comments

Popular Posts