Gaming Stuff I'm Looking Forward To In 2017

A lot of great games were released in 2016, and I anticipate many more in the coming year. On top of the products, gaming events like conventions also help flesh out my calendar. Here are a few of the things I'm looking forward to in 2017.

Blue Rose, 2nd Edition

Due to delays with the art, this update of Green Ronin's romantic fantasy RPG did not arrive in 2016 as the Kickstarter claimed it would. But we've recently been informed that it has gone to print and should be shipping by the end of the month. So I'm anticipating having it in my hands ready for a review soon. Look for that hopefully in February.

Dungeon Fantasy RPG

Regular updates from both the company via Kickstarter updates and from GURPS line editor Sean Punch on his blog have this one plugging away on schedule. The Kickstarter estimated a May release, but with the inevitable stretch goal drift, SJ Games is now expecting to ship in August. If the recently released Discworld RPG is any indication, this is going to be an incredible game.

Wraith & Changeling

Wraith: The Oblivion 20th Anniversary Edition and Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition were both funded on Kickstarter in the last few years, and in typical White Wolf/Onyx Path fashion, they've taken a while to come together. But based on updates, both seem to be on track to ship this year. I'm especially looking forward to Wraith, because despite the 20th Anniversary update, it seems to be sticking closest to the version of the game I know and love.

Gen Con 50

This year marks the 50th Gen Con, held again in Indianapolis, Indiana, from August 17 through the 20th. I told myself that Gen Con 2016 was going to be the make-or-break year for my attending this convention, and it delivered a better experience than I'd had in quite a while. So, I will be back at Gen Con 2017, barring catastrophe. I aim to schedule very little this year and leave myself open to take the Best Four Days in Gaming as they come!

Metatopia

As much fun as Gen Con can be when it is firing on all thrusters, Metatopia is far more valuable to me as a game designer and industry professional. The game design game design festival is held every year in Morristown, New Jersey, on the first weekend in November. It features game designers from all branches of tabletop and live action gaming bringing their in-progress designs, presenting seminars, and generally soaking in each others' creative juices. I've said before that if I could only go to one convention all year, it would be this one. This year, I'm hoping to have a design of my own to put through the meat grinder, but more on that as it develops.

Comments

Popular Posts